Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a Dr. Seuss exhibit. The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance.

We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers.

Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss

 We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned


WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS

big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages
& mazes from seussville.com
skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity, 
reading comprehension

LEARNING "TRAYS" - I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy's can choose.

matching rhyming words - this is a new skill for big buddy 
so i used paint strips to make it self-correcting.
(i've made the pdf available here)

skills practiced: phonetic awareness, comparing, print carries meaning, 
sorting

craft stick book cover puzzles (all images were found
via google & adhered with homemade mod podge)

skills practiced: fine motor, problem solving, reading comprehension

collage box, glue, scissors, & tape - this is an open ended art
activity but  I will encourage big buddy to create some
"seussical" creatures
skills practiced: fine motor, cutting, creativity,
 reading comprehension

dr. seuss hat matching game (i've made the pdf available here
you'll need to print it twice to make the game)
skills practiced: comparing, sorting, one-to-one correspondence 

apples on top counting game. this is game i made for
our apple unit
 - it correspondences with the dr. seuss book 
"ten apples up on top"
skills practiced: rational counting, numeral recognition, fine motor,
reading comprehension

twister-like alphabet game
skills practiced: gross motor, social, letter & body part recognition,  

sorting star beads on to pipe cleaners
skills practiced: fine motor, counting, sorting

magnetic sensory bottles: metal marbles in water, pipe
cleaners, magnetic letters in water
skills practiced: concept of magnetism, fine motor, comparing,
letter recognition

oobleck, scissors, and cookie cutters
skills practiced: reading comprehension, fine motor

thought you might want to see the oobleck in action. big buddy
isn't a fan but mini man loves it - that's his hand reaching for it
in the first photo. it's super easy to make: 1 part white glue, 1
part liquid starch, and food coloring. the boys helped me
make it, which was a great science lesson. 

We've really enjoyed this unit so far and are super excited for our trip to the museum Saturday - I'm probably more excited than Big Buddy. I'll be sure to post some pictures of our trip so you can join in on the fun.

P.S. Looking for more Dr. Seuss ideas? You may be interested in these posts as well:

Easy Seussian Hats, Cats in Hats and a Parade of Things, Celebrating Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs Two Ways


P.P.S. Check out our homeschool page for more theme units and educational ideas. 

Lots more great kid friendly ideas can also be found at these link parties: Link and LearnWeekly Kid Co-opMontessori MondayHip Homeschool HopPreschool CornerFor the Kids Fridays, and Show and Share Saturday. 

34 comments:

  1. Awe, so fun! Thank you for such a sweet comment!
    xo, Elsie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dr. Seuss is the best! They're apparently making a new Lorax movies. The book was my favorite as a kid not because of the conservation message but more for the industrialization and progress of civilization. Yeah....

    At any rate, it looks like you've done a lot of great things for the boys. Brava! Will you still be doing this when I get married and have kids of my own someday? Because, you know, with my mad salary as a professor I could hire you in a snap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are my new favorite person, for real! First thank you for visiting our blog today. Next for the real important part, these are awesome learning trays that you've put together! I'm going to be searching your entire blog now hoping I'm going to find more stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas - I didn't know about the biography - will definitely look into that. Especially like the pop stick puzzles! I can imagine using that idea for other images and what nots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like lots of fun! I love Dr. Suess, but who doesn't??

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are amazing! Love all your learning ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful activities! Love the craft stick book covers & cat in the hat activity!! Great!! I would love for you to com elink up at TGIF Linky Party http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2011/11/tgif-linky-party-4.html
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the wide variety of activities you did! They are all wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute ideas! LOVE IT! I popped over here from TGIF LInky Party =-)
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never knew there was a preschool level Suess biography - I will have to find that.
    I think that as a parent, I am falling in love with Dr. Suess all over again! I just blogged about a Hop on Pop activity we did:
    http://gratefullygrowingingrace.blogspot.com/2011/11/foam-word-families-with-dr-suess-hop-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like a lot of Dr. Seuss fun! The oobleck looks like too much fun (thought I would never touch it!)
    Where did you get those trays?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much for linking up this post to my "All Things Wonderful Link Party". I just love looking at and reading about all of the wonderful things you do with your little ones. You are an awesome Mom. Right after you linked I posted a giveaway on my blog for my fun new "My Thanksgiving Book". I am giving away a digital copy, so if your are interested come stop by again.
    Take care,
    Shaun
    myshaenoel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh, how fun! Love those puzzles and the apples up on top! Great discovery bottles - I love using those!

    I am jeaous of that exhibit - would love to see that myself!

    Would love to invite you over to join my child centered linky party - the Sunday Showcase - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Hope to see you there sharing some of your fabulous ideas!
    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome activities. I've got some pinning to do here.

    Popping in from pre-k corner

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a lot of fun! Love the green stuff. Thanks for linking up to the NOBH!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great round up of ideas! Big Dr. Seuss fan here- Looks like fun ;-) Thank you for sharing your ideas with us on The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  17. You can't go wrong with Dr. Seuss - regardless of the time of year. What I love as an educator are his fun nonsense rhymes. It makes phonics SO MUCH FUN and encourages kids to really play with sounds, letters and rhymes. I also love the activities you've set up around the books. I look forward to more visits.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many great activities - what a fun learning unit. Thanks for sharing it with us on Monday Madness.

    ReplyDelete
  19. who doesn't love dr seuss? I love the ooblic too! I need to make that soon. It is so fun to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm loving all your Dr. Seuss posts. You have done so many amazing activities. I've pinned a few on Pinterest and added some to my Dr. Seuss link collection on my blog. Feel free to add others you've done. http://www.obseussed.com/p/books.html
    I love the stick puzzles and the apples on top of the pic of your child. I found you on I Can Teach My Child and am now following on GFC.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love all of these activities. My favorites are the oobleck with cookie cutters and 10 Apples on Top. I can't wait to adapt them to the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Rachel! Thanks so much for stopping by Preschool Printables and for allowing us to share your awesome activity. We're one of your newest followers and are super excited to see what other fun projects/activities you come up with. I’ve pinned the dish wand painting – I know my nephews will have a ball! :O)

    Have a fabulous weekend!
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your Dr. Seuss trays! My favorite is the hat matching game. I pinned this idea and included it in my Dr. Seuss High Five post and linked back to you. Thank you so much for the free printable!

    Lisa
    Criss-Cross Applesauce

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rachel
    I just found your *awesome* Dr. Seuss post and wondered if it would be okay for me to link to it for my 'read across america' resource post today?

    Let me know--I'd just grab a photo from the post and link back to your site--but I totally understand if you're not comfortable with it.

    xoxo
    amy
    teachmama.com
    weteachgroup.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! Awesome post on Dr. Seuss. Love the way your Oobleck turned out - what was the recipe you used? Need it for the classroom on Friday - mine has not quite turned out so well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just found your site and printed the Seuss matching hat game. It was excellent, my daughter was asking for more! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the hat matching game and the book cover puzzles--so fun! Thank you for sharing your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such great fun looking activities. Love how the oobleck came out. I'll have to try it using starch. And the apples on top is so cute!! I have one similar but I love how you used the kids pictures. Are the apples styro-foam balls painted? Can't wait till March! Thanks so much for sharing. I too, work with Pre-K and did not know about the bio for preschoolers. Can you find it online?? New follower and can't wait to see more. Thanks again!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing! I am doing a Dr. Seuss theme coming up and I may borrow your idea for the matching pictures of rhyming words idea! Thanks again! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much for sharing what you did with your children. We made a stack of the craft stick puzzles for my three-year old twins, and they LOVED them. I love your ideas, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We are featuring Dr. Seuss as our "Author of the month" soon, so these are really inspirational. The magnetic water experiments look amazing! Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    Renae
    http://everystarisdifferent.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...