Quick and Easy DIY Alphabet Game


A couple weeks ago I was wandering through Jo-Ann Fabrics (armed with a 50% off coupon!) and found some alphabet buttons that were too cute to pass up. Since there are multiples of each letter in the pack they will be put to a lot homeschooling use. Today I threw together a quick (it took about 5 minutes) sorting game.

supplies: egg cartons, scissors, stapler, alphabet stickers,
alphabet buttons (or similar item),  

cut egg cartons down to 26 compartments

staple cartons together 

add stickers (or use a marker to draw letters)

start sorting - i have big buddy verbally identify the letter he's choses
before he places them in the correct compartment.  if he is unsure of the
letter name he recites the alphabet pointing to the letters as he goes until
he comes to the correct letter.
skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, alphabetic order, sorting

i didn't notice this when I was putting the game together but big buddy
was very excited about the rainbow he made

14 comments:

  1. Cute and a fun way to practice ABCs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great and easy way to learn letters!!

    ~MiaB
    www.mamamiasheart2heart.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great activity! Simple and fun. Love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Jo-Anns! There isn't one close to us anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't it amazing the number of games you can do with egg cartons!? Homemade and hands-on our always our favorite learning games!

    Brittney
    www.moms-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! I will use it in my Grade 1 classroom. :)

    p.s. I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute idea! Love your blog. I'm visiting from the first time ... from the Mingle With Us Blog Hop. I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those buttons are TOO CUTE! Thanks for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alphabet Buttons! I love them. I must admit I have a bit of a thing for buttons anyway:) Thanks for sharing your fun idea with Show and Tell this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've featured your wonderful post here: http://e-expeditions.com/tours/2012/01/11/links-we-love-reading-activities/

    Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE this!!! What a fun way to reinforce learning the letters & sounds!! Please link it up tomorrow at TGIF - I know my readers would LOVE it! (http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/search/label/Linkey%20Parties)
    Beth =-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks easy and quick and perfect for my 3 year old:)Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simple, cheap and very useful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...