Paint Chip Word Families

We haven't been doing a ton of school work this summer but we have tried to fit in a little reading practice everyday. We are currently working our way through Bob Books and The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading - I  highly recommend both. I saw this idea for paint chip word families on Pinterest several months ago and knew it would be one we'd have to try. I changed it up a little bit so that the the strips pulled through the word family cards.  


My supplies: large white paint chips, various colors of paint chips, sharpie, scissors, and an x-acto knife

all my paint chips are from ace hardware
 Step 1: Because my colored paint chips were so wide I folded and cut them in half.


Step 2: In the center of the white paint-chip, use the x-acto knife to cut two openings, at the top and bottom of the white square, the width of the color strip. 


Step 3: Use the sharpie to write letters on paint chips (a list of word families can be found here

Step 4: Pull strip through word family card 


 Step 5: Have fun reading


These have been a big hit with Big Buddy. They are great for reinforcing the blending together of letter sounds - but he really just likes showing off how fast he can read through a strip. 

Looking for more educational ideas? Please check out our homeschooling page

7 comments:

  1. Love these - they are a great idea :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making these today. Thanks for sharing the fun idea and the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me think I need to take a walk to the big chain hardware store for some free supplies ;) Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so colorful and cute! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I saw this on Pinterest, too, and I've been wanting to try it. Thanks for linking up to The Sunday Showcase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this idea! I would use lower case on the strips though as the children will not be making sentences during this particular activity.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...