Several months ago we were lucky enough to stumble upon a free piano on Craigslist; I was posting some of our no longer needed things and couldn't resist checking the free ads. The family who was giving it away were moving, had five kids, and were excited to hear that little fingers would be playing it again.
When Jeremy (and the students he talked into helping him - perks of being a professor) carried it into our home I was actually pretty happy to see that the finish had bits of wear and tear - though it plays beautifully. I had seen (and drooled) over several painted pianos on the internets and thought that when we got one it would be fun to paint it. Our home has original wood trim and floors (which Jeremy would never allow me paint) so bringing in new wood pieces can be tricky and tends to make our rooms feel smaller.
|five kids - it was pretty beat up|
The painting itself turned out to be a bigger task than I thought - it took almost three weeks to complete! The process could have been faster but there were several days when I just didn't have any time to work on it. We wanted a smooth, shiny finish so we also went through a lot of steps: sanding, priming, sanding, multiple coats of paint, more sanding, clear coat sealant, and even more sanding. I have heard about the wonders of chalk paint (no sanding or priming required, minimal coats) but it almost sounds too good to be true, so I have yet to try it.
|big buddy helping me apply the 1st coat of paint. |
we used benjamin moore spurce green
One short cut that we did take was to not paint around the keys. While looking at other painted pianos around the web I noticed that Design Mom did not paint behind her keys; I showed Jeremy and he liked the look but suggested we create even more of a "reveal" and leave all the wood around the keys the original color.
We really like how it turned out. The light color adds a bit of brightness to our home and it's just plain fun. Here are few more views of the finished product.