Skip to main content

Homeschool Unit: Independence Day

Early this week I posted some of our favorite Independence Day books and thought also share some of the activities we've been doing as well. As I've mentioned before, these activities are geared for my children ages three to six. They are used as a supplement to Big Buddy's (age 6) first grade curriculum which you can read about here. Flag themed rhyming cards I've made the pdf available here.

Language -
Nomenclature cards and definitions. I've made the pdf available here. If you would like to create three piece cards just print two copies and cut the names off the ends. 
Flag themed rhyming cards. I've made the pdf available here.


Stamping vocabulary words; the younger children just focus on their names. The  alphabet stampers can be found here. They ink pads are from Dollar Tree.
Matching historical American flags. The younger kid just match them. Big Buddy and I use them to play memory. I've made the pdf available here
Patterning with ribbons.

Math -
Star number boards. Depending on the child's ability they can matched on a number sheet, placed on a blank sheet, or used for skip counting. I've made pdf available here
Threading and counting star beads
Dice and balance counting game: child rolls dice and then balance that many marbles on golf tees in a play-dough star.
Science - 
Magnetic bottle: child uses magnetic stick to make pipe cleaners in the bottle fly/dance. The bottle is a recycled plastic orange juice bottle. The magnetic stick is a strong magnetic glued to a paint stick.

Other -
United States Puzzles; both of these are from Dollar Tree

One of the quesitions I get asked a lot is how I keep my younger children occupied while I'm working with Big Buddy. Below are a few of my favorite resources.

Window Clings can be found for at Dollar Tree or on clearance after the holidays at craft stores. The sticky texture and that the kids can easily manipulate them keeps them engaged. Decorating windows, in general, just seems to be exciting; I'm also a huge fan of Crayola's window crayons
Flag window clings

For some reason my kids really enjoy stabbing, especially the boys; so pin punching with giant push pins is one of their favorite activities. I also keep my eye open for fun food-picks, which I let the kids count with of create designs with in styrofoam. 
Pin punching stars. I've found that notecards work well for pin punching because the weight makes them less likely to tear. Under the notecard is a piece of foam. I use small push pins to keep the the postcards in place. 

The one item we almost always have in our school room is play-dough. I make a fresh batch every couple weeks and try to keep it interesting by rotating the color and sometimes adding smells. We have a couple Play-doh sets but the item that we get the most use out of is the Wilton 101 Cookie Cutter Set. It comes with letters and numbers and plenty of holiday themed cutters so there always something applicable. 
Red glittery play-dough; the cookie cutters can be found here

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.