- Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland by Tomie dePaola. This book is a great introduction to kids on not only Saint Patrick but on biographies in general. It is full of factual information yet still offers and engaging story. dePaola's classic bright illustrations also help to draw in young listeners. My children were especially intrigued by five legends it includes about Saint Patrick.
- Vocabulary Words to Review
- noble - distinguished/highborn
- fierce - violent
- raided - to steal
- pagan - not religious
- desolate - barren/empty
- missionary - a person sent to spread God's word
- The Last Snake in Ireland: A Story about Saint Patrick by
- Saint Partrick's Day by Gail Gibbons, this is a nonfiction book that not only tells about the life of Saint Patrick, but also explains the many ways people celebrate and the reasons behind the many symbols that surround the holiday.
Other Complementary Materials
- Adventures in Odyssey presents "Saint Patrick: A Heart Afire" this audio retelling of Saint Patrick's life is full of adventure and suspense.
Learning Activities and Games
- Matching shamrocks and numbers. This game was really simple to make. I cut notecards in two, then wrote the numbers on one side and used corresponding stickers on the other side.
- Uppercase/lowercase alpahbet sticker matching. I found this game via Rachel at I Heart Crafty Things.
- Counting lepracuan coins. The cards used in this activity are from Homeschool Creations.
- Stamping with cookie cutters.
I also brought out a few other learning games and activities from a previous years Saint Patricks Day unit.
Please check our homeschooling page for more children's literature and unit ideas.