Skip to main content

Small Graces

The last couple of weeks have been jammed pack full of baseball/t-ball activities. This is both our boys first year so it's been an interesting experience for me. I never played as a kid - even in gym class I usually found a way to opt out. Jeremy, however, comes from a long line of baseball/softball players. He's excited to share this experience with the kids. Both him and and his dad are volunteering as assistant coaches and I think they are just excited about the practices as the boys.



While I never had much interested in playing baseball. The Sandlot is one of my favorite movies and Mini Man always makes me think of Smalls. He's got the big eyes, a charming personality, and a flair for drama.



We've had a couple of warm spring days so I've tried to have us outside as much a possible - life just seems better when you can feel the sun!



Mini Man told me, "I want to  eat my popsicle like a king."


On the cooler afternoons we've been enjoying lots and lots of books. We've gone through several Magic Tree House books; all the kids enjoy them and they are a quick read so it's not too much of a time commitment. We also recently just finished The Hundred Dresses and are part way through My Father's Dragon. The kids have also spent a lot of time "reading" some of their favorite picture books - it's so fun to overhear Little Lady's retelling of a story. 



I never thought I be a fan of comic books but Big Buddy, who while he loves to listen to a good story has not shown much interested in reading by himself, has started to fly through the Star Wars, Clone Wars Adventures books. 


A silly thing that makes me smile almost everyday is the outfits Little Lady puts together. I set out clothes for the kids on Sunday but other than that I let them choose what they want to wear. Her outfits are always full of color and whimsy.  She's very proud of her creations and wears them with such unabandoned joy. 



This past Saturday Jeremy and I participated in an Earth Day five mile trail run. It has been a long time since we have done a race together. We took things slow and just enjoyed our time. Jeremy was not a runner growing up but even before we started dating he started training. He knew it was something I enjoyed and it was/is a sacrifice he's willing to make to please the girl. 


Speaking of sweet Jeremy things, he also taken to leaving little notes/lyrics on our chalkboard - this man knows how to make smile!


This post is part of series inspired in part by Bob Bennett's song, "Small Graces".

Sometimes they slip by without notice
Sometimes they are very hard to see
Other times it's all so clear when they are happening to me...

They are a reminder to the heart there is more to the life than meets the eye...
He is in the small graces,  the little moments when the miracles come...
small graces pointing me to the larger one...
little glimpses of the kingdom come

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.