The kiddos and I used a lot of the strawberries we picked to make cobbler. We aren't really pie people and there are a few of us who don't like cake - they claim it is to rich?! - but we are all huge fans of this cobbler. It's a little crazy how many pans we've gone through in the last couple of weeks. Since the fourth is so close I decided to make some with blueberries and strawberries and it was an even bigger hit.
This recipe is pretty simple, I usually have all the ingredients on hand except for the berries. It's also quite forgiving, which is great for us because it means I can let the kids help without worrying about things being exactly precise.
- 3 cups diced strawberries
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour (I'd recommend sticking with all-purpose, I tried wheat and the texture wasn't great)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 2 sticks melted butter
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix strawberries and blueberries with 3/4 cup of sugar, set aside.
- In sperate bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Once combined stir in vanilla extract, milk, and butter. (It should look similar to pancake batter)
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 pan.
- Spoon berry mixture on top of batter.
- Bake for around 40 to 45 minutes, until crust is golden.
- Serve warm or cool...with or without whip cream.
All of my older kids love to help me cook and bake. This past weekend it was Little Lady's turn - it amazes me how skilled she is getting in the kitchen.
If you decided to to give this recipe a try please be sure to let us know what you think.