Skip to main content

Preschool Syllabus: Farms

We started a new homeschool unit this week: farms. With all our harvest activities it seemed like a natural choice.  This last weekend we attended a neighboring town's scarecrow festival and we plan to go to a pumpkin farm with a barnyard petting zoo in the next couple weeks. We will focus on this unit for the rest of October.

our fact board, filled with things we've learned so far

During our rug times the boys and I will be singing a lot of farm related songs (Counting Coconuts has complied a great list) and make our way through the mass of books I checked out from the library.  I won't overwhelm you with a picture of them all but I will recommend a couple. For fiction Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin and Gossie by Olivier Dunrea.  Both of these books have a nice rhythm, great pictures, and sweet humor. We actually own them and several others by these authors - they are some of the most read books in our collection.  For nonfiction, 21st Century Junior Library, has published several great farm-themed books.

Writing Center Additions

farm animals cards in spanish & english, farm stickers, paint strips 
for cutting practice, line tracings (pdf found via musings of me)
skills practiced: fine motor, vocabulary, creativity, expressing self through print

Learning "Trays" - I rotate these setting out about four a day from which the boy's can choose.

animal counters with patterning strips and sorting cards
skills practiced: patterning & sorting

magnetic farm animals vs non farm animals (magnetic animals
 from a melissa & doug puzzle book)
skills practiced: classifying, science knowledge

painting with farm animal stencils
skills practiced: creativity, fine motor, color mixing

tractor tracks painting
skills practiced: fine motor, creativity 

observation notebook with fall items (the buddy is very in to 
being scientist lately so we are calling this his lab book)
skills practiced: observing, recording data, expressing ideas through print,
comparing

adult/child nomenclature cards (pdf via counting coconuts)
skills practiced: classifying , vocabulary, science knowledge 

farm animals and their by-products (this is a pdf we created,
click here to use)
skills practiced: science knowledge, classifying

numerical ordering and memory with harvest themed cards 
(using only two suits with cards 1-10)
skills practiced: rational counting, numeral recognition, social, memory

 pumpkin uppercase/lowercase letter match (pumpkins were made 
with plaster of Paris and a pumpkin ice cube tray)
skills practiced: letter recognition

farm animal pattern cards (pdfs via prekinders)
skills practiced: fine motor, shapes, geometry, problem solving

counting scoops of bird feed into numbered cups
skills practiced: fine motor, rational counting, volume, numeral regonition

bird feed and farm animal sensory bin (the last sensory bin i 
created didn't hold my boys' interest for long; I think it was too 
busy for them. this time I kept things simple and so far they've
appeared much more engaged)
skills practiced: fine motor, creativity, imaginative play

jiffy mix playdough and cookie cutters
skills practiced: fine motor, creativity, ordering, sizes

the chicken game (borrowed from library)
skills practiced: social, attention, science knowledge

farm puzzles
skills practiced: fine motor, spatial reasoning, problem solving, 
l;'
One final silly (literally) thing we've added to our homeschooling syllabus is jokes; The Buddy has really started to enjoy a "good" joke lately.  It's so much fun to watch him excitedly retell them, that I had to find a couple farm related ones.

What did the egg say to the other egg?
Let's get cracking!

What do you call a sleeping bull?
A bull-dozer!

Where do cows go on Friday nights?
To the moo-vies

What do you give a sick pig?
Oinkment!

Hope they made you chuckle :)

P.S. Check out our homeschool page for more theme units and educational ideas. 

Comments

  1. Wow! I love your themed activities and also your links to where many came from. Thanks for sharing. do you have a post that pictures your actual learning spaces set up. I would be interested in seeing it but couldn't find one by browsing other post titles...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what an amazing Farm Unit you've put together! I am pinning this on Pinterest and hope to you use some of your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through ABC and 123 and am amazed by this wonderful Farm unit you've created! So many great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel, this is so impressive. Your kids are so lucky to have such a creative mom! Thanks for linking up with Fun for Kids Friday. I fixed the link name so it matches with your blog post. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This post and your activities are absolutely FABULOUS! You had so many fun learning ideas! I am so glad that you linked up to my "All Things Wonderful Link Party" and I hope that you will come back again.
    Take care!
    Shauna
    myshaenoel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a fantastic theme of activities! so many wonderful hands-on activities. I am sure they had a great time learning with this!

    I would love for you to share on the sunday showcase - http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/search/label/Sunday%20Showcase

    Bern

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow agreed ... your activities are wonderful! I love the idea of counting out scoops of birdseed (along with your other activities)! I'm so glad you're linked up with Montessori Monday! I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow. And I'll be linking to your Halloween activities in my post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I ended up linking your creative plaster of Paris pumpkins to my Montessori-Inspired Pumpkin Unit at http://livingmontessorinow.com/2011/10/06/montessori-inspired-pumpkin-unit/

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW!! There is SO much here!! We are starting a farm unit next week & no I am tempted to change my plans & incorporate some of your great ideas!! Thanks for sharing!
    I am starting a Linky Party if you want to link up at http://livinglifeintentionally.blogspot.com/2011/10/first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very creative with your ideas, love the farm.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved all your pictures and creative ideas! Thanks for sharing with NOBH.
    Stefanie

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great line- up of ideas! Thank you for linking up to the The Sunday Showcase

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are amazing! Thank you for sharing. I pinned quite a few of these ideas. I'll make sure to link back to you when I use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Ideas, I have pinned it for our Farm Theme this spring. Would love to know where you get some of your supplies. Especially the sponge paint templates from this post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is great! I used the farm animals and their byproducts with my four and five year old. They learned a lot! I linked to you here:

    http://www.themeasuredmom.com/letter-f-math/

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is by far the most inspiring post i have ever seen for teaching little ones. we are doing a farm theme and i am so excited to incorporate these ideas. would so love if you could share links to the toys and printables you use under the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks amazing! How do I download the Dr. Suess Hat matching activity? I tried to click on it but it just shows me the picture?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.