Skip to main content

Hello 2014!

Last year I didn't really make any goals. Struggling with depression/PMDD, I really just wanted to find contentment and peace again. There are days where I would say I've done that. I've gotten better at talking to people and asking for help. The thing I hate most about PMDD though, is how often it leaves me feeling out of control. I like control! So I find myself constantly prepping for the bad days, always trying to stay a little bit ahead. In theory, it might sound nice; but in actuality it's left me exhausted and missing some of life's most important things. As I look to the next year there are two things I want to strive for: one, to be "more present" and two, get a bit healthier. 

I've become a bit of a multi-tasker. There is always something to do: laundry to fold, emails to send, homeschool work, etc. If my hands aren't already doing something else then most likely my mind is. While wrapping presents for Christmas I had left my phone upstairs and, not wanting to draw the kids attention, I decided not to go get it. This meant there was no radio, no emails, no texts, no Instagram to check. Just me, wrapping paper, and a pile presents. I was astonished at how relaxing it was - to just focus on one thing. I want to stop trying to make the most out of every moment and just enjoy the simple tasks I have before me. When I'm spending time with my husband or my kids I want to focus on just them. Several years ago, I started setting 15-20 minute timers of when I'd play with my kids, no phone, no other interruptions, just me and them. With my constant need to feel on top of things though I let that slide - the things you miss when you are distracted! I have some marvelous kids;  it's great to just be present with them. I'm also hoping to be a little more "present" when I relax too. To give myself breaks to fully enjoy whatever fun I have before me: movies, books, a bubble bath, etc. 


My other goal for 2014 is to get healthy. I think being more present plays in to that; I'm hoping it will bring mental calmness. I'm also hoping physically to get my body back into shape. I'm still carrying ten pounds from when I had Little Lady. While the weight isn't a big issue I can tell that my body is weaker. Simple things that used to be easy have started to get a bit harder. I want to be able to play tag with my kids at the playground, go for a long bike ride, or run with friends and not worry about my ability to finish. Jeremy and I have been doing T25 for the last month. It's only 25 minutes and can be done in our living room so it's working really well for us. We are both starting to see results. I'm hoping that come March when the weather isn't quite so frigid I can start running again, without music/or a book...just me enjoying the pace. 


Hoping this New Year is a good one! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.