Skip to main content

Small Graces

It's been a while since I've posted a small graces but life around here has been good. Jeremy recently started working part-time at an architectural firm in addition to teaching full time at Judson so things have been a bit busy and hectic. You never seem to realize how good/spoiled you are until something changes and with Jeremy's work schedule increasing it means I've had pick up some slack around the house. Jeremy never turns his nose up at household chores and is great with the kids; I just feel like with him working two jobs I should take over where I can at home. It means I'm running a little harder during the day so I don't always have much energy left once the kids are in bed. I'm sure once we adjust to the new routine things will get better. 

Little Lady had her fourth birthday a couple weeks back and it ended up being quite the celebration. It was actually a Christmas present but a couple days before her birthday she got to attend Frozen on Ice with one of her cousin. I was pleasantly surprised with how well the show was done. 


Then since most of our family does not live close, it felt like she received packages/cards for over a week - this girl is spoiled well loved. 

flowers from and out of town aunt and uncle
Our gift to her were handmade dollhouse dolls that resemble our family. 


We also threw her a girls only birthday party, you can read about it here


She felt very cherished and afterwards enjoyed sitting down to write thank-you notes to all her friends and family. 


Besides celebrating Little Lady we've spent quite a bit of time outside enjoying the snow. 


I adore this picture Jeremy captured of Little Lady. 

We've also spent a lot of time inside enjoying books. Our current chapter book is Curdie and the Princess by George MacDonald. I know I've probably posted several pictures similar to these but I cannot put in to words the the joy I feel when I see my kiddos lost in books...even if they are poorly written superhero stories. 


This past weekend we celebrated Valentine's Day. We drove around Saturday dropping off the kids' valentines to their friends. Then we all went out to dinner at Potbelly...my kids all insist on calling it 'hotbellies' Then on Sunday morning the kids did their annual heart search...we write ten things we enjoy about each kid on hearts and hide them around our home. 



Despite Jeremy's new busy schedule he also went out of his way to give me an extra treat for Valentine's Day and made me homemade chocolate scones - this man, he is a keeper! They take a couple days to make so they weren't ready until last night but watching him prep and include the kids in the process was a treat all it's own. 



You may have noticed that Little Lady is wearing her hat in most of the picture above, she decided it's her new favorite accessory. She's also decided that mismatched match shoes is the way to go.  I hope she always possess so much aplomb and creativity. 


This post is part of series inspired in part by Bob Bennett's song "Small Graces".

these are the small graces,
little moments when the miracles come...
small graces leading me to the larger one...

sometimes they slip by without notice
sometimes they are very hard to see
other times it's very clear when they are happening to me

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.