Skip to main content

Small Graces

This past week was a hard one. Despite everyone being healthy again, the kids are still not sleeping well; Jer and I are starting to suspect they are taking 2 hours shifts. We also had to deal with some sneaky, defiant behavior. Jeremy and I had a few arguments heated discussions. And to top it all off, it's that "special time"; which for some reason is much more intense post 30 and after three babies. 

I've struggled this week. Struggled to find joy when all I wanted to do was crawl under the covers. Struggled to act with grace when I felt my frustrations were very justified. I've had to pray for strength often and I have been incredibly grateful for these sections of scripture I memorized last month. 

Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; 
for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
~James 1: 19-20~

Very few people would describe me as animated or emotional. I'm not quick to get excited and it takes a lot to make me cry. I wish sometimes the release of emotions came easier to me. I think that then they wouldn't build up as much and anger (that hurts and causes so much shame) would not come out towards the ones I love most. I have been reciting the above verses to myself a lot. I want to encourage and bring out the best things in my husband and my children. I want them to glorify God - my anger is never going to bring them to that spot. 

And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit I will put within you. 
And I will remove the heart of stone from your flesh and give you a heart of flesh.
And I will put my Spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes 
and be careful to obey my rules.
~Ezekiel 36:26~

Sometimes it can feel like we are making no progress; that I'm still struggling with the same old sins. That the kids are misbehaving in the same ways, that there is no maturity or growth in responsibility. That Jeremy and I's arguments heated discussions are just repeats. This of course is a lie; by the grace God we are growing! And His grace is as sure as the sunrise. We have made progress! Ezekiel 36:26 is the verse I cling to when I feel like I've just taken two steps back. The LORD has promised to give me a new heart, HIS Spirit dwells within me! It's not an easy or a quick journey but we/I am farther down the road at the end of every day. 

I believe that prayer and scripture are the best places to go for true healing and restoration. I, however, am also extremely grateful for the refreshment provided by life's little joys/distractions/small graces:

Good food.

fresh cream of tomato soup, homemade bread, and peach & feta salad

apple crepes with caramel sauce

Old trees and sunsets


Dates with my children, getting to watching them experience good things for the first time. 

mini man and i headed out for a dinner and a bit of theatre




The adrenaline rush that comes with finding thrifted treasures - and the 25% off birthday coupon that made them even cheaper. 


Projects and a family who loves me so much they are happy to help me indulge my product-driven side.




This post is part of weekly series inspired in part by Bob Bennett's song "Small Graces".


sometimes they slip by without notice
sometimes they are very hard to see
other times it's very clear when they are happening to me


they are a reminder to the heart there is more to this life than meets they eye...
He is in the small graces, the little moments when the miracles come...

small graces pointing me to the larger one...
little glimpses of the kingdom come


Comments

  1. I love these Small Graces posts!! They are such good reminders that we have so much to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes very happy to hear that you enjoy them. Putting them together always brings me a bit of peace and joy. It's good to look back and remember the sweetness of life.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.