Skip to main content

Roses for Beauty and The Beast.

In addition to our mirrors, we also decided to make some of the Beast's roses. In a few of the versions we've read, the trouble starts when Belle's father "steals" a rose from the Beast's garden.

supplies: red paint, paper, red glitter, stalk of celery cut 
near the bottom
*this is not an original idea of mine but one i've seen several child care 
teachers use

1 - dip stalk in paint and press to paper

2 - sprinkle glitter over paint
*the glitter is optional - it just makes them "magic" 

big buddy's roses

mini man's roses

And since we had the celery we also did a little osmosis magic. 

filling our jars with water

adding food coloring

placing stalks and making predictions

colored celery!


  1. awwwww how cute!! great pics, u made me smile =)

  2. Hey...I have some leftover celery, I should do the osmosis with my kids. Those roses are beautiful!

  3. What a fun activity! We have done the celery and food color experiment but have not used celery to paint flowers. Will have to try that soon.

  4. I've never seen celery roses. How cool! :)

  5. What lovely roses! I love that celery makes such pretty flowers!

    Thank you for linking to Read.Explore.Learn.

  6. These are fabulous ideas! I'm going to pin it and share on my PreschoolPowolPackets Facebook Page! Let me know if that's a problem!

  7. Great activities - and I love how you connected them to Beauty and the Beast. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page:

  8. I tried this earlier this year, and my results weren't nearly as cute as yours. I love it. I recently saw one with red peppers making four leaf clovers. Great for St. Patrick's Day! Jodi -

  9. Ah I love it. It is so interesting to see the different art your sons created too. I have some very limp celery that I'm going to try with. The osmosis is lovely too, makes it a richer experience.


Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a Dr. Seuss exhibit. The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance.

We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers.

 We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned


LEARNING "TRAYS" -I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy's can choose.

Paint Chip Word Families

We haven't been doing a ton of school work this summer but we have tried to fit in a little reading practice everyday. We are currently working our way through Bob Books and The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading - I  highly recommend both. I saw this idea for paint chip word families on Pinterest several months ago and knew it would be one we'd have to try. I changed it up a little bit so that the the strips pulled through the word family cards.  

My supplies: large white paint chips, various colors of paint chips, sharpie, scissors, and an x-acto knife
 Step 1: Because my colored paint chips were so wide I folded and cut them in half.

Step 2: In the center of the white paint-chip, use the x-acto knife to cut two openings, at the top and bottom of the white square, the width of the color strip. 

Step 3: Use the sharpie to write letters on paint chips (a list of word families can be found here
Step 4: Pull strip through word family card 

 Step 5: Have fun readi…

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made.

The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own. 

I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape.

We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape.

Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big Red Barn. He even brought the book over so we'd know exactly how to do it :) 

Once everything was taped I let the boys paint the barn with rollers and washable, red tempera paint.

The boys really enjoye…