Skip to main content

January Rundown

A little look at what our January has entailed. 


Books 
  • Bossypants - I actually listened to the audio of this book. It was hilarious! I'm not much of laugh-at-loud person but every time Jeremy listened to it with me, he was doubled over :)
  • The Interestings - I had read a lot of good reviews of this book, but in the end I hated it. We meet the characters as teenagers, and even though, they did go on to to do some pretty interesting things they never really grew. The struggled with the same issues/problems/longing desires at fifty as they did as teenagers. I found it to be very disheartening and the lack of actually growth in the characters, to me, made them quite dull. 
  • Franny and Zooey - Even though this was a thin book it was a bit of a struggle for me to get through. It wasn't one of those stories that soaked me in to a new world or left me on the edge of my seat. I finally did finish it though and it's one I would recommend. Salinger makes some interesting notes on what it means to pursue a religion and the respect we should show others.
  • Mere Christianity -  It was my goal to finish this book in January and I'm only about half way through. Which is odd because I'm enjoying it; something about nonfiction just makes it harder for me to pick-it up. I read this book, about ten-years-ago, but I forgot how "everyday" man C.S. Lewis is in explaining his theology - it's a book that will make you think but not send your head spinning. 
  • Domino - I bought this book as a gift, but couldn't help looking through it first - lots of great home decorating advice and ideas.
Book I've Read to the Kids
  • Mary Poppins - I never read this book as a child and kind of just assumed I'd love it. Maybe, it was my high expectations that set it up for failure, but I have to say I far prefer the movie. I just found the literary Mary Poppins to be so unlikable. 
  • Magic Tree House: Blizzard of the Blue Moon - I'm not the hugest fan of formulaic books like these but my kids seem to enjoy them; so when there is one that goes with our unit (currently winter) I'll read one to them. I did like how this one took place in New York; Jeremy and I got to visit there this past summer and it brought back some fun memories. 
  • The Gilgamesh Trilogy - both the boys loved learning about this heroic, part god, part human man. 
  • Snowflake Bentley - This book has some beautiful illustations. I liked it not only for the science facts about snow but how a man was willing to stick with his passion despite nobody else seeing the significance.
  • One Grain of Rice - A fun mathematical fable from India
  • Once a Mouse - another fable from India, this time about a mouse who learns about the destruction of pride. 
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins - we are still not quite finished with this book but are enjoying it so far. 
T.V. Shows
Jeremy and I are both currently obsessed with Sherlock. I also stumbled upon the show Life, (found on Netflick) if you like not-too-scary crime dramas with a bit of humor this a good one. 
Food

Jeremy and I have been doing T25 for a couple months now, so we start every morning off with Shakeology. I've also been trying to get more healthy protein so I've been eating lots of hard boiled eggs. If you haven't tried the oven method, yet, I highly recommend it - they turn out perfectly!  Recently, we've also been enjoying Spanish Tortilla. And since nothing is going to make me give up coffee, I've had lots of fun making these homemade coffee creamers
Songs
I don't feel like I've listen to much music this month, though,  I am very excited about Nickel Creek's new cd! I've also found this song, Though You Slay Meby Shane & Shane quite healing. 

Best of the Web

*see more of my favorite web finds here*
Favorite Joyfully Weary Posts





Linking up with What I'm Into with Leah Kramer

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I don't think I've ever read Mary Poppins. You've got me curious about whether or not I'd like it. Sherlock is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.