Skip to main content

What I've Been Wearing

Sunday

This dress is originally from the Loft but I purchased it used from thredUP; which has become my favorite online shopping site. Everything I've ordered has been true to size and good quality. I've also sold them a couple bags of our unwanted clothes - they make it so easy and surprisingly I've gotten a bit more than I expected! The necklace is from The Edit Vintage - she always has lots of unique styles at very affordable prices. 


MONDAY


This dress is over seven years old from Anthropologie. I know most people don't think of dresses as versatile but if you get one in a fit, print, and color you love I promise you'll find lots of ways to wear it. Here's a few several other ways I've worn this dress: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, and nine

Friday


Rainy stay-at-home days seem beg for sweats. I used to hate the idea of sweatpants but when I was pregnant with babyZ I fell in love with them. I feel like designers have been playing with the shape and details of sweatpants over the last several years so there several options that are cute but still comfy. 

Little Lady was my photographer during the week and I have her pose first to test the shot. She bought this outfit with some allowance money she had saved up, it's become one of her favorite things to wear. 


This is the first "What I've Been Wearing" post I've done in over eighteen months. There are several reasons why I stopped...things got hectic with homeschooling, I needed more rest because of pregnancy, and I tried to keep my schedule light because I was afraid of getting hit hard again with postpartum depression. 

I also started to question the role clothes and fashion could play in a Christian woman's life, "subconsciously, was I trying to attract the wrong attention by documenting my wardrobe?" I wanted to make sure I could create these posts with a clear conscience. That I would be ok if my daughter someday followed in my footsteps. Sadly, in Western Evangelical culture it's hard to separate a women's desire to be expressive and beautiful from a man's desire to lust. I've spent a lot of time over the last two years studying scripture and reading articles. I can get pretty fired up and someday I may even be brave enough to post my thoughts here, even though I far from a biblical scholar. I will, however, say that I don't agree that men are so visually driven that when they see something "attractive" they can't help but lust. I think it is a lot more nurture than nature and unfortunately, the church has played a large part in that nurturing. When I started to study the "modesty movement" my heart hurt for my daughter (she's a beauty and already loves fashion), but now my heart hurts for my sons. Jeremy and I will obviously try our best to teach them differently but I fear someday they will buy the lie that they can't appreciate or notice a woman's beauty without also having to lust. That instead of choosing the harder path of changing their own sinful nature they will choose the easy well worn path that says others must change for them.*

After searching my heart and praying over scriptures I've decided that I do have a clear conscience about posting my outfits. I think it's great that Little Lady already has such a sense of style and I'm more than ok if she follows in my footsteps. Fashion is a creative outlet for me. I thrive on the challenge of keeping our family stylish despite having so tiny of a clothing budget. I enjoy mixing and matching and finding ways to make old clothes feel like a new outfit. I know this isn't true for everyone but when I'm 'dressed' I'm a better mom and a better wife. A good outfit helps me feel comfortable and confident. 

I also questioned my pride when it came to posting outfits, "did I need to be the best dressed woman in the room?" The answer was a solid, "NO!" Not only do I get joy out of my own creative outfits but I love seeing other women (and men) wearing clothes that make them look and feel great. I enjoy seeing the creativity and beauty of others. It makes me happy when I see people embrace their style. I've struggled with plenty of self conscious issues but when it comes to my physical appearance I feel like I've always been pretty balanced. I know that I'm not a strikingly gorgeous model but I also know that I have some attractive/pretty features. I do enjoy it when people comment and say that they like my outfits because it's an expression of my creativity...an expression of me, if you like my clothes you are saying you like me! I don't get dressed to have anyone rave about my physical appearance, though. My husband, Jeremy (who I think is extremely hot!), is pleased with it and that's all I need. 

If any of you have ponder/questioned some of these things, I'd love to hear your insight. 

*Just to make sure I'm not misunderstood I'm not advocating for women, especially Christian women, to go around with no thoughts on how the way they dress could impact others. I'm not saying I think A is so wrong we should go all the way to Z. There does need to be a change though, especially in the Christian culture! If men are called to be our leaders, then so much of the weight of whether or not men lust shouldn't being falling on women. And the current teaching to boys and men to look at the ground (etc.) does nothing to solve the problem. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment - you make me smile :)

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Red Cardboard Barn

We've finished our farm unit and are moving on to a new theme tomorrow - but before we do I wanted share the barn we made. The wooden farm animals came with a beautiful handmade ark that we gave Big Buddy for Christmas a couple years ago.  I would someday love to have a wood barn but it's currently not in the budget. So in the mean time we decided to improvise and make our own.  I stumbled upon this perfectly sized milk box (4 gallons per box) while subbing and thought it would be sturdy enough to handle play. Hubandie and the boys used an x-acto knife and wood glue to build a barn shape. to get the doors to fold out hubandie used an x-acto knife and scored the inside of the cardboard We then painted with a basic primer and outlined a window and a door with painters tape. cardboard is very porous so priming is a must if you want decent coverage Big Buddy however insisted that we add more windows so it looked like the barn in our book The Big

Preschool Syllabus: Dr. Seuss

Normally I'd do a Dr. Seuss unit in March around his birthday. We had to do one now though because on Saturday Big Buddy and I going on a date to a  Dr. Seuss exhibit . The exhibit is only at the museum until January and I'm afraid if we don't go now we might not get the chance. We are of course reading lots of Dr. Seuss's books. A great advatage to studying Dr. Seuss in November rather than March is that all his books were available at the library. I also found a great children's biography which is perfect for preschoolers. Pebble First Biographies: Dr. Seuss  We've read it a couple times and Big Buddy loves reciting all the facts he's learned WRITING CENTER ADDITIONS big buddy's name in sand paper letters, coloring pages  & mazes from seussville.com skills practiced: fine motor, letter recognition, creativity,  reading comprehension LEARNING "TRAYS" -   I rotate these, setting out about four a day from which the boy&#

Jack-O-Lanterns on the Fridge

Last fall I saw the idea for refrigerator pumpkins with face pieces in FamilyFun Magazine  and have been anxious to recreate them ever since. It was pretty quick and easy and since the only thing we didn't have on hand was magnetic sheets ($1.50 with coupon at Joann's) it was also very cheap. my supplies: magnetic sheets, orange & black construction paper, white pen, tacky glue *i know they have self adhesive sheets but my Joann's didn't carry them   glued (very messily) and ready to cut Both the boys were quite enthused when they discovered them after rest time :) Hopefully it will keep them entertained until we carve real pumpkins.